Use of Kitchen Facilities
USE OF KITCHEN FACILITIES FOR
A. The following procedures are
to be used when kitchen facilities are needed for special functions.
B. The following procedures are
applicable for parent meetings only:
- Principals must notify the food service manager/food service
assistant in charge who will then contact the School Nutrition Services
when kitchen facilities are required for a special function.
- Food Served at special functions may not be prepared on-site.
- School Nutrition Services personnel must be on duty when
kitchen facilities are used.
- The primary role of School Nutrition Services’ personnel
hired for specialfunctions is supervisory.
- Only School Nutrition Services’ personnel are permitted to
use kitchen equipment. Food and supplies (example: napkins, straws,
paper plates) are to be provided by the sponsoring organization.
- Since refrigerator and freezer space is limited, other
arrangements must be made to store refrigerated or frozen foods served
at special functions. Exceptions should be discussed with Nutrition
- Prepared foods may not be brought into the kitchen before
the completion of the work day of the kitchen staff.
- All leftover food must be removed at the conclusion of the
- Equipment must be cleaned and returned to original location
immediately after use; facilities must be left as they were found.
- Wages for School Nutrition Services personnel working at a
special function must be covered by the sponsoring organization.
- Food purchased for special functions from current Milwaukee
Public Schools’ vendors (example: milk) must be ordered on a separate
Per Rules of the Board of School
Directors, Article IX, Section 9.02 3(d), p. 109:
“Cafeterias and cafeteria equipment may be used for serving light
refreshments in connection with parent-teacher association or parent
club meeting if requested by the principal.” (Coffee, beverage, donuts,
cookies, coffee cakes, etc.)
- Principals or the principal’s designee assume the
responsibility for entry to the kitchen as necessary for items such as
water to prepare beverages, etc. Food Service manager of food service
assistant in charge should be notified prior to the meeting.
** It would
be helpful if the parent meeting calendar could be made available to
the food service manager or food service assistant in charge.
- Parents groups are responsible for any loss or damage to
equipment and/or supplies.
- Coffee grounds are to be put into a disposable container and
placed close to the trash container.
- Facilities are to be cleaned immediately after use.
Arrangements can be made with the food service manager or food service
assistant in charge to have available a container, cloth, and detergent
for cleaning purposes.
- Parent group are not required to hire School Nutrition
Services personnel for this activity.